26 October 2006

House of Hope

I've been house-dreaming for almost eight months now, and if I were to graph the level of my interest, I'm certain it would show a giant peak each month when the rent check is due. I'm not sure how many houses I've looked at, but it's been many. I'm still stunned when my realtor actually returns my calls--how she can still deal with my reasons for rejecting places is beyond me.
She called about two weeks ago and asked me to look at a house that she thought I would love. I wasn't wild that it was on a main road, so I said, "no thanks". She insisted, so figuring I owed her, and since she always humors me, the least I could do was return the favor.
"Love at first sight" would be an understatement. From the minute I walked in the door, I felt like I was home. The house held many of my requests: I'd rather have an older home with character than a newer one (but it had to be updated so all the pesky "older home" issues like electrical, plumbing and insulation were taken care of), I had to have a basement and a garage, new appliances preferred, fenced in back yard, and wood floors. This home exceeded all of my wildest hopes.
The old hardwood floors had been sanded and refinished, with all of the creaky character in tact. The kitchen was completely remodeled, but was completed with old style charm, the FOUR bedrooms were all upstairs, so no one had a room in a different part of level of the house. The fenced in back yard even has a little playhouse. The doors still have the old doorknobs on them--I could go on and on. It was the built in bookcases that got me right in the heart--literally--tears came to my eyes when I thought of finally getting all of my books out of storage and onto those shelves. I made an offer that they include the brand spanking new oversize washer and dryer, all the window furnishings, swingset and the playhouse. I low-balled it--not out of a lack of wanting, but out of a financial necessity. I figured that their counter-offer would give us a happy middle ground.
Imagine my shock when the realtor called and said they accepted it, as is. I put down the phone and cried. This group of girls is going home in a couple of weeks, opening the door to just one more reason for us to smile.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

JENN-

I CAN'T TELL YOU THE JOY AND HAPPINESS I FEEL FOR YOU! I CAN'T WAIT UNTIL OPENING DAY WEEKEND!!! I'LL BE THERE WITH A TRUCK FULL OF GOODS AND MY SLEEVES ROLLED, UP READY FOR WORK!
R

Lauren said...

How wonderful and exciting!! I too live on a somewhat main road. It is actually considered a secondary roadway. I have never been sorry about it. A great bonus is your street will always be amongst the first to get snow plowed.
Congratulations!!!

Mamalang said...

Speaking as a person who just bought my first house earlier this year...CONGRATULATIONS. This is the beginning of a very happy and stressful time. I hope you and your girls will have many happy years in your home!

A Room to Grow said...

the new house sounds wonderful. you'll have to post some pics. i love those old (but remodeled) houses as well. we ended up buying a new house... most places where i want to live are no older than 70s -with that type of character - so we decided to go with a new one.